Monday, July 23, 2007

RBL Highlights: 7/23/07

A few of the most compelling entries in this week's Review of Biblical Literature:

Michelle Brown, ed.
In the Beginning: Bibles Before the Year 1000
Reviewed by Michael W. Holmes
This book was printed as a companion to the exhibit of the same name which appeared at the Smithsonian during the AAR/ABL Annual Meeting last fall (and which was one of my favorite moments from that trip). I haven't had a chance to examine the book in detail, but from what I've seen, it's every bit as fascinating as the exhibit itself.

William G. Dever
Did God Have a Wife?: Archaeology and Folk Religion in Ancient Israel
Reviewed by Patrick D. Miller
One of my professors at Centre studied with Dever at Arizona State, and I've always been intrigued by his work. (Sometimes getting dirty in the field seems much more fun than sitting around in a library!) I'll get around to this book as soon as I have some free time... in other words, in about ten years or so. ;-)

Jennifer A. Glancy
Slavery in Early Christianity
Reviewed by Fabian E. Udoh

Stanley E. Porter, ed.
Paul and His Theology
Reviewed by M. Eugene Boring

Paul A Rainbow
The Way of Salvation: The Role of Christian Obedience in Justification
Reviewed by Timothy Gombis

No comments: